Who will write your letter of recommendation? How do you ask for a recommendation?
- First step is to determine if you need a letter of recommendation. You do this by carefully reading the application instructions.
- If recommendations are required, make sure that you have the correct forms and know the deadline dates. If a recommendation needs to be mailed by the person you have asked - provide an addressed stamped envelope with your recommendation request. If the recommendation needs to be submitted online - make sure you enter correct email addresses and let the person writing your recommendation know what to watch for in their inbox.
- Ask someone who knows you well. Colleges usually want teachers from academic subjects, preferably from your junior or senior year. If you have had a teacher for more than one class - they are often a good choice. Make sure you ask someone who knows you well and wants to write a letter for you.
- Letters of recommendation take time. Please allow two to three weeks to complete your request.
- To make the process of receiving a letter of recommendation more efficient, please complete the Requesting a Letter of Recommendation Form, and give a hard copy to each person you are requesting a letter of recommendation from.
- Make sure you write a thank-you note to the individuals who write recommendations for you.
Click on make a copy to create your own personal form